headerphoto
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." ~ 1 Peter 3:15-16

Review: The Expanded Bible (New Testament)

The Expanded Bible is a modified version of the New Century Version, functional-equivalent based translation, and a product of Tremper Longman III, Mark L. Strauss and Daniel Taylor. What's interesting is that this New Testament incorporates alternative translations, literal meanings, traditional wordings, commentaries, textual variants and references directly in the main text. Yes, you are reading correctly. They are all in the main text rather than the footnotes. The scriptures are bolded, so you wouldn't need to worry about mixing up the texts and the additional information.

And since I do not already own a hardcopy NCV, I certainly enjoy adding it to my library for references but I doubt I will use it for primary reading. This is because I find it easy to loose focus on the context of the passages due to its presentation format. Or perhaps it is just my unfamiliarity with NCV! At any rate, if you are looking for alternative bibles, this is something you may like to try out. But if you are tight on budget, I will suggest you get something more "traditional". :)

This review is part of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger Program, of which I have received a free review copy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Elvin said...

Thanks both for dropping by and feedbacking! Do take note I am not out to grow readership. :)