headerphoto
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." ~ 1 Peter 3:15-16

Satisfied With Jesus

Was reading "When The Church Leaves The Building" by David Fredrickson and found the following two paragraphs quite a summary for the book.

"Obviously, fellowship with other believers is vital to the building up of the body of Christ and, as such, constitutes a need so far as the Church is concerned (see 1 Cor 12:21). Yet every believer has the privilege of finding God alone to be more than enough, whether banished from society or surrounded by faithful friends. And so we can say of the All Sufficient One, "He alone is my rock and my salvation, my hope and expectation. He is my shield and exceeding great reward, my glory and the lifter of my head. He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother, my counselor and guide. He's bread from heaven, water from the rock and comfort in the storm. He's my apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor, teacher, helper and healer... He's all I need."

And if He is all this to me, I can receive the gifts He's given to the church and give myself as well. For the revelation of who He is constitutes the only foundation for true relationship in His body. If He is all sufficient for each of us, how freely we can serve one another! How free we can be from the fears and false expectations that would taint the purity of the gift that Father has given to us in one another! I am so thankful for my brothers and sisters in Christ. But I am satisfied with Jesus!"

4 comments:

Robin said...

I like your post. I am currently reading Reimagining Church and find the other book you mentioned interesting. Hope you can stop by and read my latest post on the book and my journey. Blessings, Robin

Elvin said...

Hi Robin,

Thanks for dropping the nice note. :) I have commented on your blog post. Please also feel free to contact me by email.

Blessings,
Elvin

Frank said...

Elvin,

This is good stuff. People argue all the time with the idea that Jesus is enough by using Hebrews 10:24-25. What people misinterpret in what is said is that we do enjoy the fellowship, but IF all we had was Jesus, it would be sufficient.
Frank

Elvin said...

That's right, Frank. In fact, when we have Jesus, or rather He has us, we would naturally gravitate towards His people on the basis of love. :)