headerphoto
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." ~ 1 Peter 3:15-16
Yesterday was a fulfilling day for me. Fulfilling in the sense that I managed to check out another bookstore here in Singapore. No, it's not one of those commercialized stores like Life Bookstore which one can see all the different branches popping out of the major shopping malls. In fact, it is a hard task to locate one good bookstore which contains a huge variety of books on a vast range of topics with substance. So where did I go to yesterday? It's none other than Bethesda Book Centre, the one in Toa Payoh. Though a small humble and run down bookstore if I may say so, it's really an old treasure box for those looking for some of the less readily available stuffs in those major bookstores. In it, I am surprised to find a humble collection of books on house churches, not the watered down ones but the really radical ones!

But it wasn't much a surprise since I was referred to that bookstore for an unique book on the topic of church history, not written in the perspective of the mainstream. It's titled "The Pilgrim Church" by E. H. Broadbent. But I couldn't comment much on it since I have not started reading it. I am currently reading another book (and jolly well half way through it since yesterday) I have gotten for myself as I unearthed it on the shelves while troubling the nice sales lady to locate the former book. This other book is titled, "Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Ours?" by Roland Allen, a deceased missionary in the last century. But I must warn the readers to venture into those books at your own risks. Those books will prove to shatter the mentality and way we do church nowadays. That is, only, if readers are willing to get out of their comfort zone.

An added joy, would be the fact that I was able to re-visit yet another small bookstore before the one mentioned above during lunch break last friday. It is called, Armour Publishing. Though its collection is simply much narrower, I appreciate the fact that is the only place where you can got some books because of licensing issue. They provide online purchase service too. Click to find out! But why during lunch break you might ask? All thanks to God for I was doing audit in the same building, to which I am able to take time and slip off to check out that bookstore. For the time being, I would be contended to keep myself busy to these two new books, while I wait patiently for the four other books I ordered from Amazon.Com to be shipped over. No prizes for guessing right of what books are they. They are books on House Churches that one can never find in the local christian bookstores here. And I ponder really hard, why?

0 comments: