headerphoto
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." ~ 1 Peter 3:15-16
"I stood paralyzed at the ghastly scene of the slaughter. Two men bound and killed him in bright daylight right before my eyes.

It all began with my trip to Mongolia. To fulfill my cross-cultural internship requirements at EAST, I had the privilege of ministering to the Mongolian full-time workers through teaching God's Word and personal counselling. One day, I was invited to a local home. As is typical of Mongolian custom to honor a special guest, the host actually killed a lamb for dinner. For the first time in my life, I witnessed the whole process of a live lamb being slaughtered. First the men bound the lamb with ropes. Then they cut a slit near the stomach. Next, one of the men inserted his hand through that slit, and feeling his way to the back of the lamb, found a nerve and broke it. The lamb was silent the whole time. It died slowly, silently, as if falling alseep.

This incident gave me a new appreciation for Isaiah 53:7 - 'He was oppressed and afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth; like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, so He did not open his mouth.' After the entire gory process, a rainbow appeared in the evening sky. I stood speechless as I felt the warmth of God's assuring love in the chilly breeze of the Mongolian countryside." ~EAST Newsletter

0 comments: