headerphoto
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." ~ 1 Peter 3:15-16
Well, I just woke up about an hour ago from the time I slept when I came back home in the evening... Today's seminar wasn't a bad one, in the sense I can make out what they are talking about. Thank God that He enlarged my day this morning, as I got up at 7:00am just to read the materials. Whew, I don't think I can make it if God doesn't help me out. Praise Him!

Had our first DG meeting and it was led by my new co-worker, hooray! The guys are generally supportive as usual and that's good news! The topic for today is actually "Obedience: Knowing God's Will". There is one part which I read and it serves as an affirmation in my own seeking with the Lord. It is as follows, "Many Christians are trying so hard to discover the will of God that they lose the joy of the Lord and leave their first love for Him." If you have been following my emotions, I did mention that I have lost the joy of serving with all the comments and opinion from men. Indeed, I realize my shortcoming in this couple of weeks. Coupled with the stress that I am undergoing, I totally overlooked the fact that serving Him is not about ministry but rather love and joy. Now, I truly thank God that He has restored me to the joy of His Salvation. I should have been more Godward-looking rather than inward-looking to the extent that I am drown by all the different commitments. Be it multi-tasking or focusing on something, the attitude behind them is more critical than the tasks themselves. Let me remind myself with one scripture verse and a golden saying from Hudson Taylor.

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. " ~ Isaiah 40:31

"God's work done in God's way will never lack God's providence." ~ Hudson Taylor

And I also understand that the most commonly cited argument for focusing on a ministry is effectiveness and efficiency of the ministry. It is often thought that multi-tasking is lacking in both areas. I wish to put it up front that this model of focusing may not be the ideal model for everyone, because God has a different plan for each and everyone of us. Furthermore, how we evaluate effectiveness and efficiency of a ministry is still based on our own fallible human judgment and wisdom. And when the Church gets secularized in God's work, no wonder we are not experiencing revivals, except for the precious few which doesn't last, in this age of the Church.

Imagine yourself witnessing a real big waste of resources when it could be used for better purpose. Imagine Singapore Senior Minister Lee working in a private firm as an administrative clerk for his employer. Well, that day will never come, but it sure is fun if he will to. Reality aside, you got the picture. People will most probably lament, "what a huge waste of talents" and the list goes on... It was the same case for Judas when he saw Mary pouring perfume worth roughly about $11,680 in modern day currency, on Jesus. Motive aside, everyone will definitely exclaim that it's a big waste. But in fact, God taught us an important lesson here through this apparent wastage. That we should "waste" everything on God, not being constrained by the secular thinking in terms of cost and benefit! Watchman Nee in his book, "The Normal Christian Life" put the idea across bluntly and I strongly recommend it for serious readers. Will we waste our time and effort despite no apparent success in ministry? Will we enjoy the Lord in the process of serving rather than enjoying the fruits of the ministry lest it becomes idolatry?

People have often been seeking the will of God in their lives, and sometimes God does answer them by His grace. But for the most of us, God has clearly shown in His word what our calling is. And that is to abide or remain in Him. The ministry, formal or informal, will follow...

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear much fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." ~ John 15:4

0 comments: